Monday, September 20, 2004

Breathless

I've started reading The Da Vinci Code. It's very well written and I've deliberately stayed away from the hype surrounding the book. I don't want to know what it's about. I don't want to know how it ends. I don't want you telling me about the nuances and symbolism.

A while ago, Dave Barry wrote a column satirizing The Da Vinci code. It was basically aimed at the way Dan Brown tries to leave you waiting breathlessly at the end of every chapter. When I read the column, I though "It can't be that bad". Guess what. It's that bad.

I like suspense. I like not knowing what's around the next bend (literally and figuratively). But, this is ridiculous. Every time you get to the last page of the chapter, you're treated to a "Who Shot JR?" moment. It gets old pretty quick.

That said, the research Brown did putting this epic together is astounding. Conservative Christians must be clamoring for his head. Maybe he'll have to go into hiding with Rushdie.

In any case. I've read 19 chapters (about 1/4) into it and I think I've got it figured out. I think I know what they're looking for and the significance of all the major players. Now I'm reading the book just to see if I'm right. If you know what you're looking for the plot (and the twist that has to be coming) is fairly telegraphed.

If you're interested in this type of subject matter. I'd recommend a read (slog?) through The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. If I'm right about what I think The Da Vinci Code is leading up to, then this book will serve as an excellent backgrounder.

I'm off to race through 19 more chapters. But first... what was that? The most important part is just over ... *breathe* there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

Ack. I hated that book. My main problem with it is that it was the first book I ever read that had a shorter attention span than I do. What is it, like 4 pages per chapter? The whole thing is just awful.

12:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that book. Yes, kind of predictable at times but I was more interested in the factual part of the book - Dan Brown's research was amazing and it's evident that he put alot of effort into it. If you haven't read his book "Angels and Demons" it's another good read. Fairly similar to the DaVinci Code in writing style but once again, the research for the facts - amazing.

8:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home